Very nice! Thank you

Home Forums V-Control General Very nice! Thank you

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Fmiser
    Participant

I just installed V-Control with the goal to control a Roland M-200i digital audio mixer for a theater show. Being familiar with remote control over RS-232 and TCP/IP, I expected I would be pestering the list with a number of “How do I …” questions.

But I don’t need to! The Wiki documentation provided all the clues I needed. I am now controlling the mixer mutes and faders.

I also wanted to play audio files, but I failed to get VLC to respond to commands sent from V-Control. No problem, though, because of the shell interface. With that, I am using SoX “play” to play any audio file.

So instead of my first post being a plea for help, it is a success report and a big “Thanks!” for software with lots of options and documentation that is helpful and useful.

And for the record, I’m running this on Debian 7, Wheezy.er

Dierk
    Participant

Hi Fmiser,

thank you very much for your positive feedback.

I would like to figure out why the VLC driver did not work for you. Did you use VLC on the same computer that is running V-Control (Debian machine in this case) ? Or was it running on a different PC with maybe a different operating system? None of these scenarios should be a problem, I’m asking just to know your environment.

May I ask you to share your Roland M-200i driver int the V-Control Show Case section? If so, I would like to integrate it in the drivers database with the next release. In the drivers help text you can write something about you as contributor (for example your name or website ).

Fmiser
    Participant

Quote from: Dierk on December 12, 2014, 09:42:26 AM
    I would like to figure out why the VLC driver did not work for you. Did you use VLC on the same computer that is running V-Control (Debian machine in this case) ?

On the same machine, I tried “localhost” 127.0.0.1, and 192.168.1.10. No error reported in V-Control. At a shell prompt from the same user running V-Control, I launched a telnet session and successfully controlled VLC. After exiting telnet, I tried piping a command to telnet, and that worked (echo “play” | telnet 127.0.0.1 10101). Finally, I setup wireshark to monitor 127.0.0.5 and used that IP and compared V-Control to the piped telnet command. The piped command had a few reply packet from VLC that V-Control did NOT.

I can do more troubleshooting for you, but for my needs, the shell command looks like it will work better than VLC because it will stop itself at the end of the file and the filename is visible in the list.

Or was it running on a different PC with maybe a different operating system? None of these scenarios should be a problem, I’m asking just to know your environment.

I did try running VLC on another Debian machine. Same result. I didn’t do any testing further than just trying it once. *smiles*

May I ask you to share your Roland M-200i driver int the V-Control Show Case section?

Absolutely! It is the plan. I’m not a real programmer, so I have to be a bit more creative to be able to contribute to open source software. When I get a few more of the commands programmed I’ll send it to you. Should I attach it to a forum post? Or email it to you? Or something else?

In the drivers help text you can write something about you as co

ntributor.

Ah! Okay. I’ll do that.

Dierk
    Participant

I discovered an issue in the VLC driver if VLC is running on Linux. It seems that VLC under Linux needs a different Termination Char. I’m currently developing a new driver, but this can last a view days because I’m busy with other tasks.

You can share your Roland M-200i driver by creating a new entry in the V-Control Show Case board. Attach your driver there. With the next V-Control release it will be integrated in the database.

Thanks for contributing and a nice weekend

Dierk

Dierk
    Participant

OK, here is the VLC Linux driver. Btw, the old one is broken for windows as well.
    The remote protocol for VLC is different for Windows and Linux. For that reason I made the VLC_Linux driver. A VLC_Windows driver will follow. Do you know how to import a driver? Well, I think you do because you are one of those lovely people reading manuals. But just in case, look here:
    http://v-control.com/wiki/doku.php/import_driver?DokuWiki=dc49d70bf81ed2ac49ffa4132896bfb2

You should be able to control VLC on your Debian box. Please let me know

Fmiser
    Participant

Quote from: Dierk on December 15, 2014, 10:08:48 PM
    OK, here is the VLC Linux driver. Btw, the old one is broken for windows as well.

It works for localhost on my Debian system. It didn’t work with VLC on another host – but neither did telnet. I’m convinced it’s a general network/telnet problem and not the fault of V-Control or VLC.

Thanks for the new driver!

Dierk
    Participant

hmmm… in my environment it works both ways. Just to make sure you set up the VLC on the remote box properly:

Assuming your V-Control box has the IP 192.168.1.10 and the VLC box has 192.168.1.11 you have to start VLC with
    vlc –extraintf rc –rc-host 192.168.1.11:20333
    Of course you can change the port 20333 to what you want, but keep in mind that under Linux you can’t access ports lower 1024 without admin privilege

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to top