Importing VControl 3 project into VControl 4?

Home Forums V-Control General Importing VControl 3 project into VControl 4?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    anika
    Participant

Hi,

we bought a license for V-Control Gui Designer 3, which seems much improved from the old V-Control Gui 1.1 we are currently using. As far as I understand it, Gui Designer 3 will not work with V-Control 3.7.19 (no Designer_Sender device among possibly other reasons). So, if I need to upgrade to V-Control 4, is there a way to convert my current rather extensive vc3 project to vc4? Or do I need to start from scratch?

Anika

Dierk
    Participant

Hi Anika,
    Best solution is to make a new 4 project. Anyhow, it should be possible to create the sending and receiving devices in V-Control 3. Download V-Control 4, add the two devices there and then you can use them as template for the v3 devices

anika
    Participant

Thanks Dierk. Happy new year, by the way. 🙂

Would it work to just export the Sending/Receiving Devices from V-Control 4 and import them in VC3? I was able to import them into V3, but wwill the devices actually function correctly like this? Or do are their any changes needed to transfer to v3?

What would be the advantages of creating a VC 4 Project “from scratch” (but obviously heavily based on the v3 project)? Would it improve communication between V-Control and the Gui?

Looking at some of my old edited drivers and trying to reproduce them in VC 4 I noticed that the “Next Cmd” DropDown Menu in the Device editor is missing. Has it moved somewhere, or is this function simply no longer available?

Dierk
    Participant

V-Control 4 has a lot of changes under the hood compared to v3. It is much more Event driven. There are also some script commands in V4 that are not available in V3. If you export a V4 device and import it in V3, then it works unless the driver does not use any of the new scripting commands. After import in V3, go to device editor and click compile. If there is no error, then the driver should work.

anika
    Participant

Thanks. Yes, the more I try to reproduce my old drivers in V4 the more stumbling blocks I seem to find. Several don’t compile because I am no longer able to read and write global variables via the device drivers. I think I would have to move a lot of code to scrips to be able the get the same results as before. I’ll try sticking with V3 for now, I think.

Is there a summary of changes between V3 and V4 somewhere? I couldn’t find a changelog or similar.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to top