[Solved] How to Change a Original Driver into a New one?

Home Forums V-Control General [Solved] How to Change a Original Driver into a New one?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    JonasStade
    Participant

Hi Dierk,

I have taken your generic device and have written some new functions into it for a new device. When I’m done, I want to delete all your functions (work) and save the driver as a new device (work not).

What I want to know is, how do I rename a standard device, that is written by you (Name,Company etc.).
    My ambition is, to have a new device in my standard device list, so how is the way to rewrite and import it as a new device, so I can keep the old one as well.

Best regards
    Jonas

• This topic was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Dierk Walter.
    • This topic was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by Dierk Walter.
    Dierk
    Participant

Hi Jonas,

Du hättest auch auf deutsch schreiben können, aber englisch ist natürlich besser weil dann mehr Leute was davon haben.

How to change a drivers name and category:

First, create a new driver as you already did. In your case you used the Generic Device. The Generic device is in the category I/O by default. Once you are happy with the new device open the Device Editor by clicking Configure -> Edit Devices… If the Device Editor is opened like this, you have access only to devices that are part of your current project. All changes take place only in your project, the original device templates stay untouched. Select your new driver in the drop down box labeled “Device:”. Next select File -> Export in the device editors main menu. The driver is now saved in a .dr3 file at the position you choose.

Now:
    Close the device editor if still open and select Configure -> Edit device Templates… Now you have access to the device database that is storing all the device drivers shipped with V-Control. Any changes you do here will change the device template.
    Select File -> Import from the device editors main menu and enter a meaningful device name.
    Select the previously exported driver. In your case this driver is based on the Generic device which is part of the category I/O. Select “I/O” from the drop down box labeled “Category”. Then click the drop down box labeled “Device:” Your new device should appear in this list. Select it.
    If you want to change the category of this device check the box “Change Category” and select a new category in the drop down box labeled “Category:”. It is very important at this point to check the box “Change Category”.
    Now change the fields “Type” and “Manufacturer” as you need
    Click Update Device

Thats it. Next time you click Configure -> Devices… you will find your new device in the database.

It would be very nice if you contribute your driver to the V-Control community. You can attach it here in your next post or send me an email with the driver attached. I will insert in in the default database. This has the advantage that – in case of updates / new versions – your driver is already in the database. There is a Tab “Helptext” in the device editor. Here you can write some helpful things for other people that want to use your driver (i.e. Baudrate or default TCP/UDP ports etc.). If you like you can also show others who has developed the driver (your name, email address and/or website).

JonasStade
    Participant

thank you very much for the fast reply.

I had this discussion about english or not in support forums with a friend for a long time, because I’m hosting a wiki for QA and we write all postings in english, because as you said, the most people understand this 😉 For me it’s a little bit difficult, but I hope everyone understands what I’m writing 😉

best regards
    jonas

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to top