Control Bonsai Drive ?

Home Forums V-Control General Control Bonsai Drive ?

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    bts.av
    Participant

Hi everybody…

I’m a total noob, just discovered V-Control 2 hours ago… I read the manual, but I can’t configure how to connect the Bonsai Drive to V-Control ?

I have a USB <> RS-232 adapter… but the Bonsai Drive is working in RS-422, right ??

or is it possible using Midi connectors ?

Thanks for your help and sorry if my question seems dumb….

bts.av
    Participant

damn.. didn’t mean “I can’t configure” but “I can’t figure” … -___-‘

sspiegl
    Participant

There are no dumb questions, only dumb answers 😉

The bonsaiDrive can only be remote controlled by rs422. You need an rs232 to rs422 converter or an USB to rs422 adapter.

Sebastian

bts.av
    Participant

OK. Thanks for reply !!! (;

I got a USB <> Mini Din 9 serial , from Keyspan , the USA-28X, and a cable MiniDin 9 > Sub-d 9 Rs422… basically, it was used to control a Beta or DVCam (or else) using RS-422 on an old ProTools 6 TDM workstation…

I think it can do the trick…

in fact, I got my bonsai drive without the original remote controller… and so, I can configure it properly… can I do that with V-Control ? (access the menu, format the disk, change the settings… these things I can’t do on a BVE…)

sspiegl
    Participant

The bonsaiDrive communication protocol is available in V-Control but the Keyspan USA-28x is a MAC only adapter! (The USA-19HS is the same adapter but for Windows). V-Control runs on both systems, so if you get the adapter/driver running on a recent Mac you are good to go.

Dierk
    Participant

You can use the Bonsai Drive with a RS232 Interface, but you need a custom made control cable.

The Device Interface in V-Control (where you select the commands) has a “?” button. if you click this, a window with additional information pops up, in case of the Bonsai this one:

RS232/422 Interface Settings

Baudrate : 38400
    DataBits : 8
    Parity : o
    StopBits : 1

The Commands bk_Play, bk_play_rev, bk_ninus, bk_plus, bk_stop, bk_loc1, bk_lok2, bk_menu and bk_release emulate a keypress on the key buttons of the Bonsai Drive. To perform a keypress, you have zu send a command (i.e. bk_play) followed by a bk_release.

IMPORTANT: These devices using RS422 commports that are different from RS232. If a RS422 interface is installed in the system, use the normal remote cable for betacam machines (9-pin 1:1 connected). If not, a special adaptor cable is needed which is shown here:

RS232 9-pol. RS422 9-pol.

2————–2
    3————–8
    5————–1
    6————–3

Note: which this adaptor the max. cable length is approx. 6 m.

There is a bug in the help concerning RS422 interfaces. There you also need a customized cable, but different from the one described for RS232.

The tweak with the RS232 port to control RS422 devices does not work for every RS422 device. My experience is that it works for most devices, but not for DVS Pronto 2, 3 and 4, but works with Probto 1, Bonsai, Betacam VTR’s, Doremi and Grass Valley Turbo Drives.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Dierk Walter.
    bts.av
    Participant

Hi…

thanks both for your time…!

I got the keyspan USA-28X on my mac and it’s seen (finding a driver for 10.11 wasn’t easy, but it’s done)… after a moment, I get how to make it seen by V-Control (configure/channels, then ask to refresh while in serial settings)

but I got no idea which settings I am supposed to send ??

I’ve tried the settings
    Baudrate : 38400
    DataBits : 8
    Parity : o
    StopBits : 1

then added the 28Xtest as channel to my Bonsai Drive_1 device, , then I selected bk_play, Run CMD then bk_release, RUN CMD… but no result at all

What do I do wrong ?

Dierk
    Participant

Bonsai in Remote Mode?
    How is your cable? Can you show me how the pins are connected?

bts.av
    Participant

woops, reply to myself… I’ve forgot to save the baud change… it was 9800 ..

ok, another pb now: I’ve sent the bk_play cmd. the bonsai drive start to browse thru all menus like crazy… so, I sent the bk_release right after that…. but nothing change ? the bonsai drive keep browsing thru menus…??

I can make it play, stop, etc.. al transsport fonctions are fine.

Dierk
    Participant

This shows the RS422 pinout with a VSCom Pro interface
    Master (female VSCom)—- Slave (male)
    1 Tx-(A)———————8 Rx-(A)
    2 Tx+(B)———————3 Rx+(B)
    3 Rx+(B)———————7 Tx+(B)
    4 Rx-(A)———————2 Tx-(A)
    5 GND————————1 GND

bts.av
    Participant

I unplugged the RS-422 cable from the bonsai drive, it keeps running thru menus… I had to electrically unplug it.

I re-plug and tried another cmd: bk_menu … it does work but it seems it’s the same: it keeps runnin… and so, I can’t send any other bk_ commands…

I’ve noticed that every cmd got the ACK msg… but the bk_release got a timeout msg….

bts.av
    Participant

As requested, the cable pinout

SubD9 for Mac Rs-422″ />

bts.av
    Participant

The img doesn’t seems to work, so I attached the picture here…

Dierk
    Participant

I recheck the driver and found a bug.
    In the bk_release command replace

ScriptResult = chr(34)+chr(255)+chr(0)+chr(0)+chr(33)

with

ScriptResult = chr(34)+chrb(255)+chr(0)+chr(0)+chr(33)

bts.av
    Participant

Hi…

I’m out for the next two weeks (work, work… you know how it is..)

but I’ll sure try asap !!! and, of course, will keep you posted.

thanks again for your time and kindness.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to top