Classroom AV Control Solution

Home Forums V-Control Show Case Classroom AV Control Solution

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jeremys
    Participant

Problem: Create a standard interface for 80+ classrooms with various manufactures of presentation hardware on a very limited budget

Solution: V-Control

I work for a 2 year Technical and Community College and for years we have looked for ways to make our 80+ classrooms easier for our educators to use. Our biggest hurdle has been the cost of the commercial solutions made this difficult.  Then I discovered the V-Control and now we have an affordable solution to standardize our classrooms.  Our classrooms have been built over the last 20 years and have a wide variety of hardware from multiple manufactures making each room a different challenge for our educations.

Hardware List:

[*]Raspberry Pi 3 Model B[/*][*]7″ Touch Screen from Pi Foundation[/*][*]Case for RPi and 7″ Touch Screen[/*][*]4 Port USB to Serial Adapter from TechToo[/*][*]2 Port Serial Relay Controller from Noyito[/*][*]3 Port IR Transmitter from Global Cache (Optional)[/*]

Software:

[*]V-Control 4.1.5[/*][*]Custom Interface written in Python using Tkinter[/*]

I’ve been able to create a very simple user interface that will standardize how the educators will control the A/V equipment in our classrooms and as the hardware changes I will make the necessary changes to V-Control and they don’t have to care what equipment is in the room.

I’ve opted for a very simple UI that I can add functionality as needed:

DeepinScreenshot_select-area_20191122114411

Here is everything connected in my test environment:

IMG_7114

Just wanted to share with the community one example of how great V-Control and Dierk are!

Attachments:
    Dierk
    Participant

Nice project, thank you very much for sharing.

josephM
    Participant

Hello jeremys,

Thanks for sharing.
    The way that you made your user interface really interests me. How did you make the communication between Tkinter and V control ? By sending network frame ?

Thanks

Joseph

jeremys
    Participant

Joseph,
    I am using the TCP Remote Service to send commands to V-Control and I created a very simple TCP Listener in my Python Script to listen for information being sent to a Generic TCP Client Device. Disclaimer on this code I Have no formal programming training so I’m sure there are better ways to accomplish this, but it works for me.

Here’s my RunTask Code:

def RunTask(task):

import pyautogui
        pyautogui.moveTo(720,480, duration = 0)
        Command = chr(4) + "0" + chr(5) + "scrRunTask" + chr(5) + task + chr(6)
        Debug("Running Task - " + task)
        data = send_data(Command)
        Debug(data)

def send_data(_command):
        import socket
        TCP_IP = IP_Controller
        TCP_PORT = 10101
        BUFFER_SIZE = 4096

MESSAGE = _command.encode('utf-8')
        s = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)
        try:
            s.connect((TCP_IP, TCP_PORT))
            s.send(MESSAGE)
            data = s.recv(BUFFER_SIZE)
            s.close()
            return data
        except:
            Debug("Connection Problem")
            return -1   

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.