Black Magic ATEM

Home Forums V-Control General Black Magic ATEM

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    steve88
    Participant

Hello,

I have just discovered V-Control and I already controlling a Hyperdeck which is great!
    Next stop is to check out the GUI controller.

Not sure if there is a feature request or way of creating new devices as it would be great if there was an Blackmagic ATEM option too??

Kind Regards

Steve

Dierk
    Participant

Hi Steve,
    you can develop the Atem Driver by your own. If you need assistance you can ask here in the Forum.

If you can’t do this, you can ask someone to do it for you. But usually this cost a little (depending on the guy who will do this)

If you have a driver for the Atem, it would be great if you share the code here, then I will put it in the next release.

I’m currently very busy (until 12 June), but I can support you after my Job is finished.

JonasStade
    Participant

If you use VControl for controling a hyperdeck, then you already using my newest Driver. This was One of the fastest drivers I ever made, so with the Atem manual and some experience in Basic programming you can create easy a Driver for Atem. The Black Magie Code is realy simple!

steve88
    Participant

Hi Dierk and Jonas, Thankyou for your quick responses.
    I will have a go this weekend to try and create a driver as I have an ATEM here with me. I will see how I get on. My programming skills are limited imagine a grade 1 violin player…its abit squeaky but I get there eventually…

steve88
    Participant

I currently use the Skaarhoj controllers with the ATEMS, and looking into their protocol online here http://skaarhoj.com/fileadmin/BMDPROTOCOL.html

steve88
    Participant

Ok so after some work this weekend I have come to a grinding halt.
    Unfortunately the Ethernet protocol is not as well documented as other black magic kit in the manual
    Currently I can now control the ATEM with an audrino running and edited Skarrhoj script, and typing commands into the console using telnet.
    I don’t know if it is possible to send commands to the console from v-control? if so this may work having the audrino as a convertor box at the other end.

If anyone is willing to assist with this project I would be happy to pay for their time.

Dierk
    Participant

I can assist, but you have to wait a week because I’m very busy at the moment

steve88
    Participant

Hi Dierk,
    No problem I managed to get V-Control to communicate with the ATEM through the audrino using an generic text send, which is great for testing integration at the moment. Let me know when you have some time in the next few weeks and I can send through what I have got so far.

Thanks

JonasStade
    Participant

I always use the send text generic device to test the communication first. When you have working commands, then it is realy easy to inplement them into a driver 🙂

tom
    Participant

A direct ATEM driver will be extremely hard to implement. There are a number of issues…

1. No official protocol – Blackmagic do not publish the lowlevel ATEM protocol. A high level SDK is available but this would need a different approach to interface into V Control.

2. Control protocol needs constant command responses – if you don’t ack the incoming packets you get disconnected. If you do too many reconnection requests then you can completely lockup the switcher requiring a hard reboot.

The best way forward may be to use Skaarhoj’s ATEM Proxy to interface with the ATEM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZRxIBr6DSI this would provide a degree of robustness that directly connecting to the ATEM cannot.

If the ATEM is central to your production then you might want to look at JustMacros (commercial software with a free version) it is somewhat similar to V-Control but with direct support of the ATEM.

JonasStade
    Participant

The ACK is not the problem, because VControl can handle ACK very well, if it is implemented into a driver.
    http://v-control.com/wiki/doku.php/acknowledge_commands

But if this method work with the telnet interface, you can also publish a Driver with the basic commands for this 🙂

steve88
    Participant

Thanks for the responses. As tom mentioned I have ended up using the Telent audrino code with an uno and ethernet shield. Then sent the commands straight from v-conrtol using the generic text send and currently working really well.

The Atem proxy looks very interesting too !

JonasStade
    Participant

Do you have the arduino Patch availible to share with orhers?
    Can you Share the Atem Vc3 Project? Then we can create a Driver from this send Text Code realy fast 🙂

steve88
    Participant

Hi,

I have attached the v-control file.

The Audrino Code i used the example is the ATEM telnet control from Skaarhoj ;

There is also a very good tutorial here although this is for a creston but the idea is the same for talent
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9t9-z-8Cks

JonasStade
    Participant

Hi steve88,

here is the driver from your code. hope this works! I have put you and me in the helptext as creators.

If you don’t know how to import a driver:

Go to “Configure” -> “Edit Device Templates” -> “Import”

If you have done this an gave the Driver a name, you can find it in the normal Device Library 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to top